View from Lingmoor Fell - a tribute to WA Poucher

I make no apology for making another post from Lingmoor Fell, esp. as, at long last, I am able to post my dream view from the fell.

A view from Lingmoor Fell - best viewed large
Inspired: by the photos of WA Poucher my vision was to create a single image that could be used to identify walks I'd done in the area, esp. those with Andrew.

Vision: there were three key requirements -
  1. the view must be taken in the 'out of season' months when the blanket of green that usually covers the surrounding fells is replaced by a mosaic of 'autumn' colours,
  2. the view must show all the surrounding peaks and (Oxendale & Mickleden) valleys clearly, with no obscuring cloud cover (difficult in the Lake District at any time of the year), and
  3. the classic routes up Bowfell, Rosset Gill and the Langdales should all be clearly visible - in the style of the late, great WA Poucher.
Poucher's masterpiece A pictorial guide for walkers & climbers 'The Lakeland Peaks' was always my guidebook of choice, and it was perhaps due to my devotion to this book that I failed to discover the joys of Lingmoor fell until later in my life. For that is one fell that Poucher never documented, but clearly knew well - as many of the photographs used to illustrate his trails were clearly taken from there. I like to think Lingmoor was his best kept 'secret'.

Technique: Look closely and you can see the remains of hail on the ground. Much of my time at this spot was spent finding cover from the hail storm and keeping warm. So to be honest this image was shot very quickly. The wind was strong, I was perched on a high point and I had no tripod so I had to use a fairly fast shooting speed to avoid camera shake, but I also wanted good depth of field and minimal noise hence ........

Camera Work: Nikon D80, RAW(12 bit), focal length: 18mm, exposure: F/9 @ 1/80sec., ISO 100.

All a bit of a compromise but I was fairly confident that depth of field, sharpness and noise levels would all be acceptable. I'd previously done some diffraction testing on my lens to show that anywhere between F/8 - F/13 would give good DOF and sharpness.

Post Capture:  in Nikon Capture NX2
  • I switched to my usual custom 'Sharp Landscape' Picture Control (i.e. Landscape with sharpness boosted to 8 and brightness reduced to -1),
  • reduced exposure by 1ev to bring back lost detail in the sky,
  • increased shadow protection - such that the LHS of the histogram was brought back in range,
  • slight tweak to curves - a shallow S curve
  • and finally made a slight crop to remove clutter at the base of the cairn.
I would have liked to crop some of the LHS - up to the cairn - but then I would have lost part of the Oxendale valley, which was not an option!
 Photo Location

View Larger Map

No comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright

© All rights reserved

Search This Blog