Inspiration


Inspiration comes slowly and quietly - prime it with a
little solitude and idleness

I claim to be a landscape photographer. So why landscape and not wildlife or portraiture, etc. I certainly like doing portraits and get a great deal of satisfaction from them?

Well I suppose it's all down to what originally inspired me to capture landscape images in the first place. I can remember it clearly .......

It was on my very first trip to the Lake District (35+ years ago) as Barbara drove me from Grasmere to Thirlmere on the busy A591. First the diminutive Helm Crag dominated the view. This was quickly replaced by the face of Steel Fell (high and sheer) then, on the left Seat Sandle and on the right Dollywagon Pike as we continued our drive on through Dunmail Raise Pass.

The view from the car was breathtaking. There are many finer views in the Lake District, and many would say that this view is grey and boring, but nonetheless for the first time visitor (a city boy who had never experienced the mountains), to be presented with this sheer face rising from a green valley floor - it was and still is my inspiration. Sadly on all subsequent visits I have been driving and have never even attempted to take a picture. Perhaps I'm a little afraid that it will never stand up to the picture I take home with me in my minds eye.

Thirty plus years on and I still rack my brain, wondering how that sense of awe could ever be captured in a flat two dimensional photograph. The trouble is that each landscape presents a new struggle and to date there have been very few YES moments. But its a struggle I enjoy tremendously.

Of course not all landscapes are awe inspiring, but if I take a photograph its because I am inspired by natures ability to generate an emotional reaction in me. For example a common reaction for me is the wish to capture the sense of solitude I often feel, or I'm sometimes motivated to supplement the photo with a short poem, (see gallery/slideshow).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright

© All rights reserved

Search This Blog